Thursday, January 29, 2009

Burger King Makes WHAT!?

Note: The following is a paper I wrote for my writing class due tomorrow that I haphazardly threw together after I was unable to think of anything with substance to put together. The assignment was that we had to write a page paper on basically anything we wanted... at least I hope... I dunno... Anyway, if it's good enough for my class, it's good enough for FailBlog. But this explains why there's a fucking footnote, and the higher level of professionalism(?) Enjoy, or something. Also, sorry for the bad formatting, it fucked up since I copied it from Word, and I don't give enough of a shit to fix it.

In the midst of doing work in the library, my coffee level from that morning’s breakfast sank to zero. I decided to walk over to the well over-priced, Outtakes campus convenience store to recharge. Passing through the aisles, something caught my eye: A large Burger King logo on three bags. I guess that the marketing department accomplished their job. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that these were actually Burger King endorsed bags of chips. This amazed me. I always expect fast food chains to attempt shocking marketing ploys, but seeing Burger King making a brand of snack food surprised me to no end. This isn’t the first time a restaurant branded a kind of snack food (In fact, the company behind these Burger King snacks was also behind the T.G.I Friday’s snacks as well)[1] but I never thought Burger King would venture into the snack world.


There were three types of varieties available: “Ketchup & Fries,” “Flame Broiled” and “French Toast.” Feeling daring, I decided to go with “French Toast.” They looked like brown Cheetos. On the first try, they didn’t taste good or bad… more “interesting” than anything else. But as I continued eating them, they got better and better with each one. I’ve never specifically had French toast at Burger King but it was pretty impressive how much they taste like maple. You could taste a faint buttery undertone, the combination made it really taste like French toast. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing that they’ve created “Burger King in a Bag” and made it so people no longer have to go to a real Burger King to get their unhealthy food but bravo, Burger King. I expected failure, and was pleasantly surprised to find success.


[1] Hartford, Jamie. "Burger King to Debut Branded Snacks." QSR 09 2007 28 Jan 2009 .

No comments: